Total Pageviews

Friday, May 25, 2012

Misspoken

I almost feel sorry for the poor dope.
Almost everyone has seen the video- gone viral many times over- of the North Caroline pastor of one of the non-denominational megachurches that have sprouted like fungi all over the place,  Charles Worley of Providence Road Baptist Church, who is preaching an old-fashioned hellfire and brimstone sermon. During this homily (if that gentle word is appropriate), he offers his solution (Final Solution?) to the issue of homosexuality: put all the lesbians in a concentration camp-style barbed wire enclosure, and the gay men in a similar separate one, and just leave them there until they die! Oh sure, he proposes regular food drops by airplane, but it would essentially be a prison.
The instinctive response of most would be (I hope) revulsion and fear, regardless of sexual orientation. And attempts to get interviews for another view from the man's congregation just make it worse: a parishioner who seems just as hostile and unloving and defensive as that pastor must be (the video of the  sermon was taken down the day after it was discovered by less involved people.)
But I have seen things from the other side of the pulpit. And while I would never spill out such bile (I hope!), I know I have said some things in a sermon- not quite of this caliber,  to be sure!- which hindsight suggests to me I shouldna said. It is, alas, all too easy to let your mouth get ahead of your brain or your heart.
Does this mean I would let this pastor off the hook? Not by a damn sight!
But it does mean that not all the foolish people should be made into some sort of lesser creature.  Simply because this man (and his congregation) are dehumanizing a large part of the population doesn't mean that we should do the same to them out of our outrage.
So the suggestion that someone has made is so good: make a contribution to the gay-rights organization of your choice- in this pastor's name! That's Charles Worley of Providence Road Baptist Church (I recommend Human Rights Campaign, an organization I support.) I understand a significant amount has already been given, and I remember the scriptural injunction to love your enemies. Besides, it drives 'em nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment