Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Too much of a good thing

Well, that version of Murphy's Law is all too true: If you explain something clearly, concisely and simply, someone will completely misunderstand!
See, someone had posted something on Facebook, nemind what, ain't pertinent, and I made a comment in response. Which in turn got him upset and he posted a comment. So I responded by posting an explanation of what I originally intended to say. And he in turn got more defensive both denying any responsibility for the original post and at the same time defending it. Oh, it was a glorious mess, ending in apologies from both of us and the mutual recognition that open dialog just ain't possible in that way.
But what I carried away from this tempest in a teapot (to use an archaic idiom) was twofold: Never put anything on public media (like Facebook) what you wouldn't want right out visible on the public square.  Pissing contests are never a becoming spectacle.
And second: People can get really, really, really uptight about personal beliefs. Especially if said beliefs are kind of out there, not generally accepted.
Yes, we all have our own distinctive faith structure, the stuff that gives meaning to our lives. When anyone challenges those beliefs, we can either consider things calmly and discerningly, or we can become defensive and belligerent. Of course, none of us is sure to react one way or the other, depending on what is challenged. But if we can stop and try to be aware of those things we believe in which are likeliest to trigger a negative response, we might learn something about ourselves.
The things I get defensive about are those things which seem too extreme, too rigid, too certain. The three most important words are "I don't know." When someone tells me that such-and-such is The Answer. I try to consider that with an open mind. But if it becomes apparent that an open mind is not welcome, I have to wonder at the validity of that Answer.
G.K.Chesterton, that great Christian apologist (and mystery writer) once said, "Doubts are the ants in the pants of faith." Remember, it was Doubting Thomas who was the first disciple to proclaim the risen Christ as "My Lord and my God."
So your beliefs about finding "proof" for this or that element of faith may be quite interesting. But please excuse me if I don't immediately embrace it as being as certain as you take it. I am not questioning your faith. I may be questioning the way you express your faith: too open and closed, too definite. Too much of a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment