Total Pageviews

Monday, October 24, 2011

But Some Are more Equal Than Others...

In our society today, there is much energy being expended on the issue of inequality, especially the fact that many people (most, in fact) earn far less, have fewer resources, work in less-prestigious jobs than a smaller percentageof the population. This has led to demonstrations, occupations and much, much discussion. Yes, I am in sympathy with the young people who are involved in this movement, and I wish them the best (was something like what I did, back in the day.)
But there is some confusion here regarding the issue of equality; some folks who are in a position of authority are threatened by such talk. They have difficulty distinguishing the idea that all people are of equal value from the fact that some have greater knowledge, more academic credentials, broader life experience than others. A parent is of equal worth to any child, even though the parent has the authority to decide the best way of life for that child. A doctor may not be any better as a person than a given patient, even though that doctor has the ability to help that the patient might seek out. The judge is just as human and limited as any lawyer or defendant, even though one might rule legally on the other.
The confusion arises when someone with expertise in one area offends by condescension to a person in another area altogether. Yes, I have my areas of expertise, but that should not guarantee me deference in any other area, however strong my opinions or ardent my feelings in that area.
So does that mean that we should listen to all, give equal consideration regardless of their knowledge and understanding? Well, yes, with the common assumption that we are all equally aware of who is worth taking seriously and who is not. I hate the idea of giving the people I disagree with equal voice and time, but unless I know my opponent, I do not know what I am facing. It becomes like chasing a black cat in a dark room, and constantly crying, "Here it is! I have it!"
All people created equal: that is what we proclaim. It doesn't mean we should all be cookie-cutter-copies, nor that we pretend not to see differences. But it does mean that I am of the same worth as you, and you as me, regardless of what bank balance or job title we respectively have.

No comments:

Post a Comment